Friday, January 15, 2010

Chicken update

It's been a while since I did a chicken update, so I thought I'd let you know what's happening.  We hired someone to build a coop.  They build it on Wednesday and Thursday.  A sad turn of events on Thursday morning.  Jacob went out to feed the chickens.  He came running back into the house in tears and I knew...his hen had died.  How sad that she was so close to getting to live in the new and big coop...  She was his pet, she would sit at his feet and let him carry her all over without a fight.  He really misses her.

I have to ask, why is it that it's always the pet of the child who cares that passes?  Connor wouldn't have been broken up.  Same as when a gerbil died...it was Shaoey's and she LOVED her gerbil and was crushed.  Connor's lives on.  But I digress...

Here the roosters (and kids) are in their new home:


We are expecting a shipment of 35 Rhode Island Red day old chicks around February 9th.  No, they're not all for us.  We are keeping about 15 of them.  I can't wait to get the call from the post office that they are waiting for us!  How fun is that going to be?!  I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Ooooh, so wish I lived closer and could buy some fresh eggs from you!