Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sprouting!

I have been reading all the benefits of eating fresh sprouts (see below) and have been wanting to try it.  I actually brought the sprouting jar MONTHS ago.  For some silly reason, I felt intimidated by it.  But this morning I overcame that intimidation and put my first batch of mung beans to sprouting!  This weeks menu includes spicy spareribs and stir fry bean sprouts for dinner Thursday--using our own freshly sprouted bean sprouts!  

Years ago the Chinese carried mung beans on their sea voyages and ate them in large amounts to prevent scurvy.   


It appears that while the nongerminated seed does not have vitamin C, the process of sprouting prouduces it.  Not only does sprouting produce vitamin C, it also changes the make up of the bean/seed.  It also increases vitamins A, B (including folic acid), and E.  Mung bean sprouts are high in fiber, have a low glycemic index,  a nice amount of protein, low cholesterol, and produce enzymes that facilitate the digestive processes...just to name a few benefits!  

One cup of mung bean sprouts has:
30 calories
3 g protein
6 g carb
.2 g fat
and all the nutritional benefits above!

My stir fry bean sprout recipe comes from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.  I love the information in this book.  It challenges so many modern "health" practices and makes so much sense.


No comments: