Monday, February 16, 2009

Getting ahead of God

Isn't God so good to meet us where we are and keep us in check? I am in the early stages of selling mom's (Charlotte's) house and moving my sister to "town." In my haste to get this done, I haven't been seeking God's direction for it. I know all the good reasons to do this: my family is suffering, I have to treat Charlotte like my 5th child out of necessity, one of her sitters just includes Charlotte in her family.... Charlotte does not have a life of her own. I don't want her to live the rest of her life as our life. I met with the sister of someone like Charlotte to see if they might be a good fit. This person is 30 years older and I wasn't sure if it would make a difference. I wanted to go to this and leave there with the feeling of "alright! This is it! Done deal!" Unfortunately that's not the feeling I have. I feel confused and torn and...just not peaceful. Have I sat with God and gotten his input lately? No. When I came home today, I got to read a devotion from AOP. Here's the part:

The real lesson my daughter learned that day deals with the same pride that causes many of us Christians to fall. Not willing to wait on the Lord, we too run ahead and attempt to take the reins. We forget who is in control and make unsound financial decisions or foolish choices based on our emotions, not expecting to be hurt in the process! God may even tell us no, but we ignore Him and let our pride tell us we can handle it. We run into problems and pain we could have avoided if we had just waited on the Lord.

Are you struggling with waiting on God today? Is your anxious attitude becoming like the world's that says, "I can't take this anymore. I'll take care of it myself?" Be careful! Running ahead of God may find you lying on your back someday as you struggle to pray and ask Him for help. "The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him" (Lamentations 3:25).

Lord, teach me to "be still" and know You are God. Help me to trust in Your answers instead of my own and to wait for the best You have planned for me. In the name of Jesus, Amen.



Where does this leave me? I don't know. Hopefully seeking God's will and being able to be patient even when I feel like "I can't take this anymore." We're going to try to set up some get togethers to see who she seems to like and not rush into this even though my heart is screaming to get this done and over with...

I'll let you know what happens!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hi. I found your blog through the China Yahoo group. I have enjoyed reading through your posts and your family is beautiful. My husband and I are waiting on our own China angel now. This particular post really spoke to me. Thank you for witnessing here about God. He is so faithful!!